Home 9 Admissions 9 Financial Aid 9 Special Financial Aid Circumstances


The special circumstances listed below require a conversation with a KCC Financial Aid administrator for next steps. To schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid administrator, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 269-965-4123.

Income Adjustments

Students may request that the financial situation of the family be reevaluated for the following reasons:

  • Drastic changes to income
  • Drastic reduction in income
  • A student/spouse or parent/step-parent who reported work earnings on the FAFSA has remained unemployed for at least 13 weeks during the following year
  • A student/spouse or parent/step-parent had a complete loss of unemployment compensation or a loss of a nontaxable benefit (such as Social Security benefits, a pension or child support)
  • A student/spouse or parent/step-parent has become separated, divorced or widowed after submitting the FAFSA
  • Medical expenses not paid by insurance
  • Private school tuition (elementary through high school only)

By completing the Request for Adjustment to Family Income/EFC form (available in the Financial Aid Office) and providing required documentation, professional judgment may be used to adjust information that may affect the family contribution. Requests for Adjustment to Family Income/EFC forms will not be made available until July 1. All income adjustments received after Oct. 31 must include signed copies of the student’s current and next year federal tax returns.

Students Without Parental Support

Students whose parents refuse to support them are not eligible for a dependency override, but they may be able to receive unsubsidized Stafford loans only. Students whose parents refuse to provide FAFSA information and support must provide a parent signed copy of the Parent Refusal Form. This form is available by request at the Financial Aid Office.

Dependency Override

Often unmarried students who are under the age of 24 are required to provide parental data on the FAFSA. They are referred to as dependent students. However, dependent students with unusual circumstances may appeal to the Financial Aid Office for a dependency override. A dependency override would allow the student to be considered an independent student (for financial aid purposes only) and exempt the student from providing parental data on his/her FAFSA.

Dependency Override Policy

Annually, and on a case-by-case basis, the Financial Aid Office may permit a dependency override for otherwise dependent students with unusual circumstances.

Conditions which qualify for a dependency override include students under the age of 24 who cannot rely on parental support from either parent because each parent meets one of the following criteria:

  • Parent is deceased
  • Parent is incarcerated
  • Unusual parental circumstances (e.g., parent’s whereabouts are unknown, abusive family environment, abandonment by parent, etc.)

Conditions, singly or in combination, that do not qualify for a dependency override include:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for FAFSA verification
  • Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency

Unaccompanied Homeless Youth

An unaccompanied homeless youth is a student who is not yet 24 and is homeless or is self-supporting and at risk of becoming homeless. One of the many ways this status can be determined is by the student’s school district homeless liaison. Students who are an unaccompanied homeless youth are encouraged to meet with a KCC Financial Aid administrator to discuss next steps and options for support.