Home 9 Admissions 9 Financial Aid 9 Retaining Financial Aid Eligibility


This page provides information about how Kellogg Communtiy College students can retain their financial aid elibility. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at 269-965-4123 or [email protected].

FAFSA Completion

To receive federal student aid and most Michigan scholarships, completion of the FAFSA is required. Although not all scholarships require a FAFSA on file, most do or strongly recommend a FAFSA on file to assist in determining a student’s financial need. To complete your FAFSA, visit studentaid.gov.


Financial aid disbursements require students to be registered and attending class. A student’s enrollment status that is less than Full-Time (12 or more credit hours) may impact the amount of aid disbursed to a student’s account each semester or disqualify a student from future scholarship disbursements.

  • The Pell Grant requires registration of one to 12 or more credit hours
  • Federal SEOG and student loans require registration of six or more credit hours
  • Michigan Scholarships: TIP, Michigan Competitive, Futures for Frontliners and Reconnect are just a few Michigan scholarships that also require a minimum registration of six credit hours each semester

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students receiving financial aid from federal and state sources must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at Kellogg Community College. Students shall be monitored for satisfactory academic progress at the end of each semester (fall, spring and summer) for which they receive financial aid. There are three components that all students must be able to meet when evaluated: pace of progression, GPA and maximum timeframe measures. These standards are established to ensure that students are progressing toward an educational objective and complete a degree within a reasonable timeframe. If the standards are not met, students are not eligible for federal and state financial aid. Students are notified of their SAP status through their KCC email account (students who are meeting the SAP requirements will not receive notification) and can review their SAP status in the Bruin Portal’s Financial Aid Self-Service area in the Satisfactory Academic Progress section. Click here to view KCC’s SAP standards.

Dropping Classes

Students are responsible to formally drop classes for which they do not wish to attend. Failure to drop may result in charges to the student account. Contact the Registrar’s Office or view your class schedule within the Bruin Portal to find the drop/add dates for each class.

Late Added Class

In order to receive financial aid, students must be within the Add period. If classes are added after the Add period, financial aid will not be available.


Students are required to attend class in order to be considered for financial aid disbursements. Instructors report all student who have attended class to the Financial Aid Office. Financial aid awards will be adjusted excluding credits for the classes reported as “No-Show.” This adjustment may result in a reduction or cancellation of financial aid awards for the semester. Balances due to KCC are the student’s responsibility.

Complete Withdrawals from KCC

Students who completely withdraw all classes within a semester will be automatically placed on Suspension and may have to repay some or all of the financial aid received (see Return of Title IV Funds). Complete withdrawals will affect availability of future financial aid (see Satisfactory Academic Progress). Contact the Academic Advising Department and the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing to determine the effects of the withdrawal. See Title IV Return of Funds for more information.

Federal Return of Title IV Funds

Students receiving Title IV funding (federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans) who completely withdraw from classes are required to have earned aid evaluated through the federal formula established in the 1999 federal financial aid reauthorization. Unearned aid is returned to the federal financial aid programs.

The amount of federal funds returned to the federal programs will be determined based on the date the withdrawal process begins or the last date of attendance. If the date the withdrawal process begins or last date of attendance is not available or known, the federal refund will be based on the 50% point of the semester. Return of federal Title IV funds will not be computed after the 60% point of the semester. All complete withdrawals from the College are processed in the Records and Registration Department. Examples of this policy are available in the Financial Aid Office upon request.

Repeated Courses

  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed (received a “0.0” or “No Pass”), regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed
  • A student may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time. (A passing grade is any grade other than an F, W, NR or N)
  • Once a student has completed any course twice with a passing grade, he/she is no longer eligible to receive aid for that course
  • A recalculation of aid is done to exclude the credits for the repeated course if a student retakes a course that is not aid eligible
  • This rule applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course

NOTE: Federal regulations specify that students may not receive aid for repeating courses previously passed if the student is required to retake those courses as part of a structured program.

Late Awards

Awards made by the Financial Aid office or notification of additional aid by the student or an outside source after the initial award letter is emailed may result in the adjustment of awards. Adjustments are made to ensure compliance with individual program requirements and to avoid overawards in the total award package. Revised award letters are emailed as adjustments are made.

Attendance at Two Institutions Simultaneously

Students attending two institutions simultaneously may only receive federal and state financial aid at one institution for the same payment period. Generally, the school granting the degree is the school providing the financial assistance.


For more information on retaining your financial aid, view our Financial Aid Quick Reference Guide. For information regarding our financial aid policies, view our Financial Aid Complete Reference Guide.