Home 9 Admissions 9 Financial Aid 9 FAFSA Application Process


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form used to apply for federal financial assistance such as the Pell grant, Federal Student Loans, State funded grants and most scholarship opportunities. The application is completed online at studentaid.gov and can be completed in two steps:

Step 1: Create an FSA ID

  • Student: An FSA ID is your account username and password. You need it to sign the FAFSA form online. If you don’t have an FSA ID, you can create an FSA ID online to complete federal student aid tasks. It takes about 10 minutes to create an FSA ID.
  • Parent: If you are the parent, you need to create your own FSA ID to sign your child’s FAFSA form online. Create an FSA ID. As a parent, you’ll be able to use your FSA ID right away.

YouTube Video: How to Create an Account Username and Password (FSA ID)

NOTE: If there are issues with your FSA ID, students can mail their signed signature page to the Central Processing System. The CPS will determine their eligibility for financial aid within 72 hours after receiving the completed application. For more information on filing, visit studentaid.gov.

Step 2: Complete the FAFSA Form

The FAFSA form is available each year on Oct. 1. Make sure to choose the correct academic year of attendance. Complete each of the following sections of the FAFSA form:

  • Student Demographics
  • School Selection
  • Dependency Status questions*
  • Parent Demographics (if you are a dependent student)
  • Financial Information (link to IRS DRT to transfer tax information onto the form)
  • Sign and submit form using FSA ID

*Based on the responses to the Dependency Status questions, if you are considered a dependent student, you must report parents’ information. Learn more about dependency status.

Upon submission of the application, make sure to print the confirmation page which will show the Student Aid Index (formally known as Expected Family Contribution or EFC), eligibility and the school information. Review the Student Aid Report (SAR) that summarizes the information provided on the FAFSA form.

Preferred Deadlines at KCC

  • Fall Semester: July 29
  • Spring Semester: Nov. 26
  • Summer Semester: April 15

Special Circumstance Appeal

Request for adjustment: Students may request that the financial situation of the family be reevaluated for the following reasons:

  • Drastic changes to income.
    • Drastic reduction in income.
    • A student/spouse or parent/step-parent who reported work earnings on the FAFSA has remained unemployed for at least 13 weeks during the following year.
    • A student/spouse or parent/step-parent had a complete loss of unemployment compensation or a loss of a nontaxable benefit (such as social security benefits, a pension or child support).
    • A student/spouse or parent/step-parent has become separated, divorced or widowed after submitting the FAFSA.
  • Medical expenses not paid by insurance.
  • Private school tuition (elementary through high school only).

By completing the Request for Adjustment to Family Income/EFC form (available in the Financial Aid office) and providing required documentation, professional judgment may be used to adjust information that may affect the family contribution. Requests for Adjustment to Family Income/EFC forms will not be made available until July 1. All income adjustments received after Oct. 31 must include signed copies of the student’s current and next year federal tax returns.

Apply to KCC

All new students (students who have never registered for classes at Kellogg Community College) must complete the online admission application to receive a username and password and a KCC student email account.

All financial aid updates and notifications are sent electronically. An email will be sent to students’ KCC email account providing a web link to the Financial Aid Self-Service System through the Bruin Portal. The email notification may include links to other websites with pertinent information related to your awards. The Financial Aid Self-Service System will assist students in managing their Financial Aid Package from submission to completion. To access this information, every student must have an active admissions application submitted and their KCC student ID and password (usually a six-digit date of birth unless changed after first login attempt).

In the Financial Aid Self-Service System, under the Required Documents section, web links for the required documents are provided for easy access. Please print all documents, complete them with required signatures and submit them to the Financial Aid Office. Other documentation, such as tax information, may be requested and must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office for processing and awarding. Make sure you can access the Self-Service System and your KCC student email account and check it frequently.

Eligible Program of Study

Students must be in an eligible program of study to receive aid. All associate degree programs are eligible for financial aid. Students enrolled in a two-year transfer program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree and qualify for admission into the third year of a bachelor’s degree program are eligible for financial aid. Check with the Financial Aid Office for eligible certificate programs or  view eligible programs of study here.

Guest Students

Students enrolled as guest students at Kellogg Community College are not eligible for federal or state financial aid. Students must be pursuing a degree or certificate or be enrolled in a transfer program at Kellogg Community College to qualify for funding.

Open Entry/Industrial Trades Courses

Open-entry courses are treated like regular courses during the semester for which the student registers. Students must complete all coursework by the completion of every semester when Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is evaluated. Classes not completed will be counted as attempted and not completed. If the student is placed on probation or suspension due to non-completion, once the course is complete and a grade is assigned the student may complete a Satisfactory Academic Appeal form to request a reevaluation of SAP progress.