A female student smiles while flexing outside and wearing a light blue Be Bruin T-shirt.
Home 9 Admissions 9 Transfer Students


Students who enroll at Kellogg Community College with the intention of transferring to another college or university need to:

  1. Meet with a KCC academic advisor to discuss an intended major, degree requirements, general education and transferability of courses.
  2. Obtain a transfer guide developed by the transfer institutions to assist them through the transfer process.
  3. Learn to use the Michigan Transfer Network to verify transferability of KCC courses.
  4. Evaluate transfer institutions to learn about entrance and degree requirements.
  5. Visit and meet with an advisor at the transfer institution.
  6. Apply early and meet deadlines for financial aid, scholarships and housing at the transfer institution.
  7. Request to have KCC transcripts sent to the transfer institution.

Transfer Evaluation

KCC will accept comparable college coursework earned at other accredited colleges and universities and through the military. Courses considered for transfer must have a comparable course offered at KCC.

It is the student’s responsibility to request that official academic transcripts be sent from other institutions attended to the Registrar’s Office for the purpose of transfer credit evaluation.

Please note:

  • Courses completed with a passing grade of C or above may be considered for transfer. Following the transfer evaluation process, the student will receive an email including their evaluation results from the Registrar’s Office to their KCC email account.
  • A maximum of 75% of a KCC degree or certificate may be completed using transfer credits. Grades from other institutions are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA at KCC.
  • Students may use an unofficial transcript from an accredited college/university to prove course prerequisites. Grades must be a C or higher to meet requirements. Courses from the unofficial transcript will not be placed on the academic record until an official transcript is received.

Michigan Transfer Agreement

In Michigan, most community colleges and universities maintain the Michigan Transfer Agreement, which is designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate colleges and universities. The agreement provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many, and in some cases all, of the general education requirements at participating Michigan four-year colleges and universities. Students may complete the MTA as part of an associate degree or as a standalone package.

Credit When It’s Due

Did you know you can earn your associate degree from KCC even after you transfer to a university? When students transfer from Kellogg Community College to a university, they can still obtain an associate degree even after they’ve begun their studies at a new college. KCC has reverse transfer agreements in place with Western Michigan University, Grand Valley State University and others so our Bruins can earn an associate degree with the help of credits earned at their university. It’s one more way KCC looks out for our students and makes sure they receive credit when credit’s due.

For more information, contact the Registrar’s Office at 269-965-5522 or records@kelloggedu.