Home 9 About 9 Department & Office Pages 9 Industrial Trades 9 Industrial Trades Admissions


Although the Industrial Trades utilize a nontraditional instructional method, becoming a student is a straightforward, three-step process. Thanks to our open entry, open exit style of teaching, students can begin coursework immediately upon registration.

To sign up for Industrial Trades programming at KCC, students must:

  1. Apply to KCC. We recommend applying the day before your orientation.
  2. Complete Industrial Trades Orientation.
  3. Register and pay for modules.

With a little preparation, the entire process can be completed in a single day with one approximately hourlong visit to the RMTC campus in Battle Creek. Our staff can assist with any part of the process, in person or by phone at 269-965-4137.

Apply to KCC

The first step is to apply to KCC as any other student. As part of the College’s admissions processes, we do require photo ID and proof of address (a driver’s license can be both) before students can register for modules. The application takes up to 24 hours to process, so we recommend applying the day before orientation.

Every applicant must:

  • Be 18 years old or older
  • Have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) or finished a home-school program

We also accept dual enrolled high school students.

Complete Orientation

After applying to KCC, visit our Industrial Trades Orientation page to complete orientation and visit campus to meet with an instructor in your chosen program(s) to learn more about the program and outline a selection of modules that suits your needs. Once done, our staff can record the orientation, enabling registration for modules.

Register & Pay for Modules

With orientation completed and proof of address supplied, our staff can help you register for modules in person. However, KCC requires payment for courses within 24 hours of registration, whether the student is paying out of pocket, using financial aid or paying via a company sponsorship. Financial aid students must also enroll in a payment plan.

Additional Information

If considering an Associate in Applied Science degree in an Industrial Trades program, be sure to contact Michael Houston in Academic Advising for assistance:

  • Arranging to take the Next Generation Accuplacer test
  • Selecting appropriate general education courses
  • Understanding graduation requirements
  • Navigating the transfer process
  • Identifying and accessing career resources
  • Tracking down important college resources

All financial aid information will be transmitted via the Self-Service section in the KCC Bruin Portal. Students should periodically review financial aid information through the Bruin Portal and watch for emails, which will provide financial aid information.


We work with local high schools to allow their motivated students to start in the Industrial Trades while still in high school. Just as with all KCC dual enrollment opportunities, dual enrolled Industrial Trades students earn college credit and make progress towards a certificate or a degree. In the case of early college students, the student finishes high school with a credential, often with an additional year after traditional high school graduation.

The process for becoming a dual enrolled or early college student is much the same as for KCC in general:

  1. Speak with your school counselor about dual enrollment or early college.
  2. Apply to the college. Be sure to select the dual enrollment/early college option.
  3. Meet with an Industrial Trades instructor to select modules and complete orientation.
  4. Submit your module selection to your counselor for them to authorize the selection in our system.
  5. Register for modules and obtain course material.
  6. Start working like any other student.

Career Center Articulation

Students may be able to take Industrial Trades courses during high school at the Branch Area Careers Center or the Calhoun Area Career Center. After enrolling and completing a semester at KCC, students are able to articulate career center courses, earning college credit for the work completed during high school.