Home 9 About 9 COVID-19 Updates 9 Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds for Eligible Students: CARES, CRRSAA & ARPA


Under the federal American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act, Kellogg Community College received approximately $4.3 million to provide emergency grants to students to help offset the costs associated with attending an institution of higher education or for emergency costs that arise due to coronavirus.  Eligible expenses include tuition, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and childcare. Detailed reports on each of the grant programs can be found by clicking the link directly below; information regarding student distributions under the ARPA stimulus can be found in the following sections.


Who is Eligible?

Frequently Asked Questions

What do CARES, CRRSAA & ARPA stand for under the COVID-19 stimulus bills ?

CARES – Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act

CRRSAA – Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act

ARPA – American Rescue Plan Act

Do I qualify to receive emergency grant funds under the ARP Act and how much will I receive?

The hyperlinks posted above under ‘Who is eligible’ contain the semester specific eligibility requirements and award amounts for each eligibility group according to the Department of Education program guidelines.

Are dual enrolled or early college students eligible for this funding?

Under the American Rescue Program Act (ARPA) effective March 11, 2021, dual enrolled and early college students are eligible to receive emergency grant funds. However, due to the low acceptance rate of funding issued to this population of students during the Summer and Fall 2021 semesters and the grant requirements to focus the distributions toward the highest need populations, the emergency grants will not be issued to students in this category during the Spring 2022 semester.

Are international and undocumented students eligible for this funding?

Yes. Under ARPA, international, undocumented, permanent residents, refugees, asylum seekers, DACA and other DREAMer students are eligible to receive emergency grant funds.

I am enrolled in a fully online program at KCC. Can I still qualify for this funding?

Yes. Unlike the CARES Act which excluded enrollment in online programs, the CRRSA and ARP Acts state students enrolled in online programs who meet the stated eligibility requirements are eligible to receive emergency grant funds.

How can I use the funds?

Students may use these funds for any component of their cost of attendance or for emergency costs that arise due to coronavirus. Examples include tuition, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and childcare etc.

I did not complete the 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Can I still qualify for this funding?

Yes. The CRRSA and ARP Acts do not require filing of the FAFSA form to be eligible to receive emergency grant funds.

If the grant amount received did not meet the expenses I incurred, can I apply for additional funds?

No. Unlike the CARES Act, additional funds will not be made available under an application process. 100% of KCC’s grant award will be disbursed to students through the emergency grants leaving no additional funds available.

How and when will I receive the funds?

Spring 2022 emergency grants are scheduled to be released the week of March 18.

Grant amounts will be direct deposited into bank accounts of students who are enrolled in direct deposit. Students without direct deposit will receive a refund check in the mail.

Direct deposit can be set up by logging in to the Bruin Portal, selecting Banking Information from the menu screen and clicking Add an Account.

Southern Michigan Bank & Trust has agreed to cash checks fee-free for KCC students with a valid government-issued ID who do not have access to bank accounts.

Will there be funding available in future semesters under the Federal Stimulus programs?

No. All of the grant funds allocated to the College have been fully expended with the 2022 Spring emergency awards.

Do I need to apply for loans or other aid?


What if I owe KCC for tuition or other expenses?

These funds cannot be used toward any outstanding balance without the student’s written consent.

Students can submit a HEERF Consent Authorization form located under eForms in the Bruin Portal if they wish to have any potential grant funds applied to their student account first in payment of an outstanding balance. Remaining grant funds will be refunded to the student after the account payment has been applied, if any.

Those not consenting to apply potential grants to their account will have the funds pass through the student account, but the full amount of the ARPA grant will be given directly to the student and will not pay outstanding balances owed to the College.

Any outstanding balance owed will remain the responsibility of the student.

Who do I contact with questions?

Questions can be emailed to the KCC Business Office at [email protected] or the Financial Aid Office at [email protected] for assistance.

What other resources are available?

If you need help with resources for food, housing, and/or financial assistance, please consider reaching out to the KCC Foundation at https://kellogg.edu/about/foundation/ for more information. Limited resources are available through the Beyond Tuition grant program.